Ice Hockey: Galloway and Harley score 50 career goals 

Harley and Galloway (left to right), photo credit: Kaite Wilson via Brockport Athletics Flickr

Juniors Connor Galloway and Andrew Harley both scored their 50th career goals against SUNY Canton on Jan. 25.  

Despite having such a massive milestone looming around the corner, Galloway and Harley were caught off guard by their achievement. Their teammates and coaches were the first to tell them they hit the mark.  

They thought back to how the younger versions of themselves would feel.  

“At one point, I thought even playing Division III hockey was a little bit of a stretch for me. To be at this level and having the success I am in just my first two years, I would probably be shocked,” Harley said. 

Harley’s perspective is slightly different from Galloway’s. 

“I always wanted to play NCAA hockey,” Galloway said. “So, looking back at it, it’s like ‘alright I made it there.’ I still have a lot of goals that need to be reached. My childhood dreams. I’m definitely on the road to success now.” 

While many athletes focus on the their extracurriculars, Galloway’s and Harley’s collegiate experience is not encompassed solely on the ice; their studies are just as important as hockey. Although this balance can be difficult, both Harley and Galloway are seeing their work pay off. 

“Obviously, being a student-athlete can be a struggle. It’s a grind, but that’s what we’re here for. To juggle everything and still put in the work ultimately leads to good performances,” Galloway said. 

Along with being reminded of their achievements, their teammates’, coaches’ and relatives’ support has not gone unnoticed. Harley credits much of his success to this support. 

“Growing up, it is such a big time and money commitment from parents and relatives. Everything they’ve done for us has been huge in our success,” Harley said. 

Just as they rely on the encouragement and advice of others, Harley and Galloway want to remind younger athletes about keeping their focus on working hard, engaging with coaches and trusting the process.  

“Keep working hard,” Harley said. “Put yourself out there. Once you get to levels where they start recruiting, don’t be afraid to reach out to coaches. The worst they say is ‘no’ and you don’t go to that school, but at least you put yourself out there.” 

Galloway’s advice is to focus more on the smaller details. 

“Do the little things. Do the little work. The things people don’t see behind the doors. It’ll push you through the door somewhere else,” Galloway said.  

With still two years left in each of their careers, both Galloway and Harley are looking towards the future as the puck keeps hitting the back of the net.