Second half slump sinks Brockport women’s basketball 

Photo credit: Brockport Athletics Flickr

The Brockport women’s basketball team saw their two-game winning streak come to an end as they fell to Geneseo 60-43. The Golden Eagles fell back below .500 as they now sit at 9-10 on the season and 6-6 in SUNYAC conference play. 

Stephanie Jean-Baptiste led Brockport with 14 points, while Zairea Hannah chipped in with 10 points. Geneseo was led by Lauren Romito who produced 13 points, 16 rebounds and two blocks.  

The Knights and Golden Eagles went back and forth early on as Geneseo took a 12-7 lead into the second quarter. In the second, Brockport had their best offensive output of the game as they scored 20 points, including a banked in Stephanie Jean-Baptiste three-pointer at the buzzer from two steps in front of the half court line. Jean-Baptiste and Anna Felice combined to hit four triples in the quarter and Brockport trailed just 28-27 at the break. The momentum felt firmly in the corner of the Golden Eagles but that buzzer beating three was the last of the positives for the Green and Gold on this night. 

The Knights outpaced Brockport 32-16 the rest of the way as the Golden Eagles failed to crack double figures in the third or fourth quarters. On a night where Brockport struggled to shoot the basketball, they were only able to manage two total free throws attempts in the game. Brockport shot just 25% from the field in the final twenty minutes as well as 11% from three-point range.  

Brockport will next be in action back at home, as they will face SUNY Potsdam Friday night.