Phony parking 

Parking sign posted on Brockway Place. (Photo Credit: Hallie Davis)

Parking in the village of Brockport seems pretty straight forward, but for some students who live off campus, it has become a bit of a hassle.  

According to side streets in the village, the signs state that you cannot park on the road Monday- Saturday 7 a.m to 6 p.m. but it is legal on Sundays or holidays. Lately, it seems more and more people abiding by the signs are still getting ticketed.  

“I invited my boyfriend over and told him his car was okay on the street because he was leaving before 7 a.m. the next day,” Claire Odett said.  

As she was following what the sign said, Odett didn’t think there would have been an issue regarding ticketing.   

“I kind of knew I was going to get a ticket; I think its village ordinance to not park between 2 a.m. and 6 p.m. but I trusted her because she lives on Brockway and I don’t,” Cameron Kuzniar said.   

Kuzniar was talking about a rule that is in place for many villages where you cannot park on side streets between 2 and 6 a.m.  

This rule can be for various reasons; in Brockport it is to make way for street sweepers and plows that come through during the different seasons.   

“If cars are parked on the roads during a big storm, they will be towed so the plows can get through,” Officer Geoff Catlin said.  

Many of the students at SUNY Brockport are not from this area so they don’t know the village ordinances.   

“I’ve gone to Brockport for a year and a half and I had no idea that was a parking violation because it doesn’t say it on the signs,” Odett said.  

Catlin explained the signs that state you cannot park between 2 and 6 a.m. are on main street entrances to the village- like Main Street, Route 31, Redman Road, State Street and East Ave.  

‘I’ve never seen the signs on the main streets in [to the village] that say the 2 to 6 a.m. rule, I didn’t even know about it until my friend got a ticket last semester for parking between those times,” Kuzniar said.  

Each parking ticket issued is a $50 fine, which could be a struggle for some students to pay on a college budget.     

Brockport students are urging police to put signs on intervillage streets. Many students are not from the Brockport or Rochester area and do not know this rule. So when they receive a $50 ticket without the rule being posted where they parked-many feel tricked and try to fight the tickets to no avail.  

Catlin says there are no plans to put the rule on the inner streets of the village to his knowledge. He also did not know exactly how many people call a day saying they did not know about this rule.