Brockport hosts teaching abroad workshop 

Photo credit: Unsplash

Interested in experiencing new cultures? As a part of International Education Week, SUNY Brockport and other Rochester-area universities hosted ROC Your Global Future to present a series of online workshops.  

Each workshop focused on the benefits of international education and exchange while becoming a global citizen. On Wednesday, Nov. 16, ROC Your Global Future presented a workshop on teaching abroad. The workshop was led by Jenny Sullivan, Director of Education Abroad and International Fellowships at Rochester Institute of Technology. 

“These workshops provide a space for returned study abroad students to analyze and reflect on their experience in an effort to truly maximize its impact and learn how to solidify these new ways of being and doing into their new global identity,” Sullivan said. 

The workshop featured two panelists, both who are currently teaching abroad. Hannah Chhan is currently teaching in Thailand and Samantha Vell is currently in Brazil. Both panelists spoke about their education, travel and educational careers. Attendees were guided through their several years of teaching internationally, getting exposed to the many opportunities students have with teaching abroad. Attendees also received advice on finding a position, how to be a successful teacher and the support that’s available to them.  

The workshop also provided resources for specific formal programs and job boards. Some formal programs offered included a 1-year program in Japan and a teacher’s assistant program in France. Teacher Horizons is a free platform for students to apply to international schools.  

“We hope that students who attended now feel empowered to give this experience a go and put themselves out there, ready to immerse themselves in the world around them,” Chhan said. 

Attendees asked questions intently and were enthusiastic about expanding their international study experience. Workshops like these help encourage students to become global citizens and further their abroad adventures.