Scholarship opportunities expanding

(Photo Credit: Alexander Grey)

Scholarship applications for the 2023-2024 academic year opened on Nov. 15, and the list revealed some award changes that will expand current student scholarship opportunities. 

The Green Scholarship’s ($2,500) requirements have become more inclusive to incoming first-year students. This scholarship is automatically awarded to first-year students with a high school GPA of 88 or higher and is renewed for students who live on campus and maintain at least a 3.25 GPA.  

The Prometheus Scholarship is increasing the award to $6,000 next fall for incoming first-year Honors students. This scholarship includes a free campus parking pass, priority registration and first choice for placement in a Living Learning Community, as well as other privileges. 

Additionally, the new Eagle Scholarship ($1,000) is a one-time award for incoming first-year students with a high school GPA of 90 or above. 

The Residential Scholars Award, a non-renewable, one-time award for high achieving first-year students, can be combined with the Gold, Prometheus, Empire or Eagle Awards to cover the remaining cost of housing for freshman year. This award is offered to students who have a high school GPA of at least 96 and live on campus.  

Two Transfer Scholarships have also been added. Based on a transfer GPA of at least a 3.00, 24 college credits, membership in Phi Theta Kappa and financial need, students can be eligible for $1,000-$1,500 per year for two consecutive years. 

Finally, the Fannie Barrier Williams Scholars program will continue. This program offers low-income students with unmet financial need four-to-five-year scholarships. 

According to SUNY Brockport’s Extraordinary Academic Scholarship program, these additional changes will make Brockport “one of the most affordable SUNY schools for merit-based aid,” which will hopefully increase on-campus residency and retention rates.  

Scholarship applications close Feb. 15.