Student loan debt relief application still live

Court order temporarily blocks The Federal Student Loan Debt Relief Program. (Photo Credit: Kristina Volgenau)

The Federal Student Loan Debt Relief Program is formally open for applications. 

This program was announced by President Joe Biden in August, which will cancel up to $10,000 in student loan debt for eligible borrowers and up to $20,000 for previous Pell Grant recipients.  

Since this announcement, the Biden-Harris Administration has been met with a lot of backlash.  

Following several lawsuits, a federal court order last month has halted the loan relief process temporarily, coming from the 8th US Circuit Court of Appeals through six Republican-led states. Prior to this court order, the administration could have begun processing applications as early as Oct. 23.  

The U.S. Department of Education cannot process applications until this court order is resolved, however, individuals are still encouraged to apply. 

Applications are open until Dec. 31, 2023, although the U.S. Department of Education advises applying as soon as possible. Find out more from Brockport students in our Nov. 10 paper.