Brockport football falls short against Utica 

Photo credit: Brockport Athletics Flickr

Playing again without senior starting QB Todd Simonds, the Golden Eagles were unable to overcome Utica, falling 35-21. This marked the second consecutive loss for Brockport, who moved to 3-3 overall and 1-2 in the Empire 8.  

Utica controlled most of the game taking a 21-7 lead into halftime. Brockport was able to square the game at 21 all early in the fourth quarter before a pair of touchdowns from Utica QB Braedon Zenelovic helped the Pioneers pull away. 

Brockport lost in almost every major statistical category in this one. Utica outgained Brockport 427-294 in total yardage while getting more first downs (22-13) and winning the time of possession battle by five minutes. 

Rashad Law led the Brockport offense once again finishing with 103 yards on 18 carries.  Backup QB Chris McGuire finished 10 out of 16, passing for 130 yards, one touchdown and one interception. McGuire added 59 yards and a touchdown on the ground as well. The Brockport defense was responsible for the opening score as defensive lineman Jordan Harris returned an interception two yards for a touchdown. 

The loss of Simonds was most evident in the inability of the Golden Eagles offense to finish drives. Going just 1-4 in the red zone compared to Utica who went a perfect 2-2 proved to be a difference maker in the result. The passing attack also lacked big play ability, with the longest completion going for just 27 yards. With Brockport playing from behind early, the lack of a passing threat proved to be a glaring weakness for the second consecutive week. 

Brockport will hope to begin a strong finish to their final four weeks of the regular season when they visit Hartwick College next Saturday.