Ellsworth the Eagle turns 66 

Photo credit: Abigail Scott

Ellsworth the Eagle makes a great impact on the community of SUNY Brockport, he is a figure of happiness, pride and hope for many. 66 years ago, he was the light in a dark time, born from the memorial of Bob Boozer.  

According to the Brockport website, the golden eagle became the mascot in 1947. Years later, the first coach for the Brockport football team, Bob Boozer, had passed away from a long battle with cancer. In 1956, his middle name Ellsworth was given to Brockport’s mascot to commemorate his impact on the school.  

Every year since then, the school has held a party for Ellsworth’s birthday during homecoming week to celebrate the happiness that he brings to the school and Brockport community as a whole.  

SUNY Brockport Associate Director for Student Activities Programming Amari Simpson recollects the moments of Ellsworth bringing pure joy to the people in the Village of Brockport.  

“Ellsworth means a lot, little kiddos love him, the community is excited to take photos with him and he’s really the staple and heartbeat of our university. With all of his moves and excitement he really does drive the spirit of Brockport students as well as many of the events we do,” Simpson said.  

Brockport junior Lily Wegerski points out the welcoming and accepting nature of Brockport and how Ellsworth is a reflection of those values.  

“I think he’s just the heart of Brockport and all the history and community that has been here. Just by being our mascot and a great energy booster, I know that Brockport is really into diversity and building community and I think he just really helps encourage people and uplift others,”Wegerski said.  

Ellsworth is not just a mascot, but a symbol of unity and happiness to the Brockport community.