It’s an Antique Shop, it’s a Craft Fair, it’s… the Peddler’s Market? 

Sign outside the event, advertising the Peddler’s Market. (Photo Credit: Vera Stolzenberg)

On Saturday, Sept. 10, the Brockport Peddler’s Market opened once again between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. Held annually for over 50 years, this event has become a community tradition. 

This market functions as a fundraiser for the Western Monroe Historical Society, which is responsible for the preservation of the Morgan Manning House.  

According to the Western Monroe Historical Society, Sarah Morgan Manning dedicated her house in 1964 to “stand forever as a monument to the fine old traditions that are so important to our heritage.”  

Proceeds from the Peddler’s Market go towards the Morgan Manning house annually to help with upkeep of the town’s historical landmark. (Photo Credit: Vera Stolzenberg)

Tables arranged around the Morgan Manning House displayed the history and artistry of Brockport’s residents. Wares included a variety of Bills gear, handmade jewelry, antique dishes, century old family heirlooms both vintage and modern books, games and movies. 

Vendors and visitors alike said that an integral part of the event was the feeling of community. 

Late 1970s SUNY Brockport alumni Linda and Jack Bowser stayed in the community and have been vendors at the Peddler’s Market for approximately 10 years. 

“We come with different friends every year. We usually get a side-by-side booth and just make a day of it,” Jack said 

Like Jack, Linda enjoys the quality of the market. 

“I enjoy selling my things here. I put a tablecloth on the table and flowers. I like the fact that there’s a lot of vintage things here, and that’s what I’m trying to sell. I collect that kind of thing,” Linda said. 

Jack, who is involved with the Western Monroe Historical Society and gives historical tours of the Morgan Manning House throughout the year, said he enjoys interacting with people who appreciate the same things that he does.  

SUNY Brockport freshman Katelyn Cyganovich says she had a great first-time experience at the Peddler’s Market. 

“I liked walking around and seeing the homemade things I would normally just buy on Etsy, and being able to interact with the people who made them,” Cyganovich said. 

The Peddler’s Market is an event for everyone, young and old. People come, bringing what they can to share with the community, for a fun, unique and relaxing day. Every year without fail, new people are introduced to this market, and fall in love with this charming tradition.