New Campus Drive construction leads to gas leak  

Around 8:45 a.m. on Tuesday an alert was sent out to the SUNY Brockport Rave system informing students that contractors struck a gas line while continuing construction on New Campus Drive. The gas line cut occurred just outside the Tuttle Athletic Facility. 

Shortly before the alert, sirens could be heard around campus as emergency crews rushed to the area.  

Rochester Gas and Electric crew were on the scene by the time the 8:45 alert was sent out, and were working to shut off the gas. 

The Tuttle building was evacuated just before the update was sent out. Bridge access to Tuttle was closed, and the outdoor patio adjacent to the Drake Memorial Library was also closed as a precaution.  

SUNY Brockport asks that windows in Tuttle, Drake Library and the nearby Liberal Arts Building remain closed for the time being as emergency crews work on repairing the gas leak. They said more information would be dispersed as needed. 

UPDATES:

11:53 A.M. As of 10:45 a.m., SUNY Brockport evacuated the Tuttle Athletic Complex of all students and staff. All in-person classes, athletic practices and activities located in Tuttle have been cancelled until 5 p.m. The college recommends students to refer to Blackboard and/or contact their coaches for possible class and practice changes. They also advise Tuttle staff members to contact their supervisor for more information regarding alternative work assignments.

1:53 P.M.At 1:02 p.m., SUNY Brockport alerted students via the Rave system that the gas leak has successfully been repaired and the Tuttle Complex will re-open at 5 p.m. as scheduled.