Brockport Baseball Flourishes in Florida 

The Golden Eagles baseball team traveled down to Auburndale, Florida over spring break and dominated every opponent they faced, going undefeated with seven wins over the course of the trip to bring their overall record to 9-2 on the year.  

After starting the 2022 campaign at 2-2, Brockport was eager to get back in the win column. In the RussMatt Central Florida Invitational, the Golden Eagles’ bats warmed up in the Florida sun and the offense hung many crooked numbers on the scoreboard.  

Senior shortstop Justin Pangburn attributed the team’s success to the mentality they brought into each game. 

“The bats got going and the pitching was lights out all week. Taking this momentum into conference games this week should help us out a ton,” said Pangburn. “We all know how much we’re capable of as a team and to put it all together for a whole week was great to see. We just have to continue to play Brockport baseball and great things will happen.” 

Along with the offense hanging 79 runs over the course of seven games, the Golden Eagles pitching staff was able to keep opponents’ bats quiet as they surrendered just 12 runs. Junior pitcher Justin Delvecchio credited the offense with making the pitchers’ jobs easier.  

“I think the main reason why our pitching staff was so effective during this stretch was by staying in the zone and limiting walks,” Delvecchio said. “Our pitchers have so much trust in our position players that they are going to hit and make plays behind us, which they did all week. Our hitters did an awesome job getting us up early in the game to give myself and the rest of the staff so much confidence in ourselves every single game.”  

Game Highlights:

Brockport opened against Stevenson University and wasted no time making their presence felt. Colin Pytlak earned the win on the mound, striking out five over 2.1 innings of work while surrendering just one hit. The offense got going early, as the team had 14 runs on 11 hits. Nine different players recorded hits in the game, but the offense was paced by leadoff hitter James Houlahan who went 2-4 at the dish with two runs scored and a walk. Third baseman Matt O’Dair also had a big day at the plate as he went 2-4 with two RBI’s, a run scored, and a walk.  

Against the University of Maine-Presque Isle, Matt McGowan went seven strong innings, giving up just six hits and one earned run while striking out five. Adam Douglas entered in relief and delivered two strong innings to earn the win for Brockport. The game was tied at 2-2 in the bottom of the eight inning when Nick Pastore crushed a two-run shot to put the Golden Eagles on top, with a final score of 4-2.  

In the first game of a day-night doubleheader versus University of Wisconsin-Superior, the Brockport offense posted 21 runs on only 15 hits to cruise to a 21-2 victory. The pitching staff, led by Cooper Meldrim, Matt Denatale, Michael Heilig, Ryan Peters, and Ryley O’Connell combined for 16 strikeouts, seven hits, two runs, and two walks. It was a dominating outing for the pitching staff that allowed Coach Beach to dip deep into his bullpen. Outfielder Zach Eldred recorded his first career home run, and Eldred, Ryan Voight, and Frank Vanzillotta all recorded multi-hit games.  

In the late game against Wisconsin-Superior, Jake Jempty threw five shutout innings, struck out three, and allowed only five baserunners. Ryan Mansell crushed a two-run homer to right, and Tom Kretzler went 2-2 with two RBIs and two runs scored. Catcher Jake Sisto also went 2-3 with a run scored in the contest. Brockport swept the doubleheader, winning the second game with a score of 7-0.  

Against Stockton University, the Golden Eagles cruised to an 11-0 win. Andrew Huffman continues his scoreless innings streak, and keeps his earned run average at triple zeroes to go with a 3-0 record. Huffman threw six innings, struck out seven, gave up just four hits, and walked only one batter. Justin Delvecchio took over in the seventh and struck out two in an inning of work. Justin Pangburn, Tom Kretzler, and Jake Sisto all homered. James Houlahan also added a 3-5 performance at the plate with an RBI and a run scored. Kretzler had two doubles and a big fly in his 4-5 day at the plate.  

Next on the schedule was SUNY Canton, and Brockport once again dominated in both facets of the game as they won 15-2. Colin Pytlak earned his second win on the mound, and Nick Lawlor, Matt Collucci, Adam Douglas, and Matt Denatale all posted scoreless outings in relief. Tom Kretzler stayed hot at the plate, going 2-3 with two runs, four RBIs, a double, and a homer. Houlahan and Pastore both recorded two hit games in the game as well.  

The last game on the schedule in Auburndale was Simpson College. Kretzler went five and two thirds innings on the mound, struck out 10, and only allowed six baserunners with an unearned run. Zach Eldred had a 3-4 day at the dish with a double, Nick Pastore hit two triples, and Houlahan had two knocks out of the leadoff spot. The Golden Eagles won 7-3.  

The long bus ride home for the Golden Eagles was a happy one after going 7-0, and they will be back in action Tuesday, Mar. 22 when they travel to the University of Rochester for a game at 4:00.