SUNY Brockport hockey cruises to senior night victory

SUNY Brockport men’s hockey team hosted SUNY Potsdam Friday, Nov. 12 for senior night at the Tuttle North Ice Arena. The Golden Eagles have started off the season on the right foot, picking up their fourth win in four games. It is tradition for the team to hold their senior night early in the season. The players honored were Ryan Romeo, Casey Winn, Sam DiBetetto, Nolan Egbert, Mitchell Parsons, Robert Flannery, Trevor Pray, Jake Colosanti and Corey Tam.  

After a scoreless first period, Brockport came out of the intermission hungry for goals and set the tone with a Mitchell Parsons power play goal just 2:21 into the period. Parsons was assisted by Ryan Romeo and Cam Barbagallo. Parsons is tied with Romeo for the team lead in points with seven on the season, and has scored three goals in four games, which is the most on the team in that span.  

The Golden Eagles took advantage of another Potsdam penalty and scored their second power play goal of the quarter on a finish from Jacob King. Andrew Harley and Ryan Romeo assisted the shot, and both finished the game with two assists. King has two goals and five points on the young season, and Romeo leads the team in assists. 

The Golden Eagles are currently undefeated in both regular season and conference play, and are ranked 20th in the nation. According to head coach Brian Dickinson, Brockport’s seniors have been an integral part of the team’s success. 

“These guys have been so resilient. With everything we’ve gone through in the last two years, for them to really put this thing together. We’re getting great leadership from all the guys, and it showed tonight. I thought we were great in all facets of the game, power play, penalty kill, five on five and we didn’t really give them [Potsdam] a whole lot,” Dickinson said.  

Senior goalkeeper Nolan Egbert has had a tremendous season so far, averaging just .67 goals allowed, and has a save percentage of .973. The win over Potsdam is his second shutout of the season.  

Dickenson was happy with the team’s strong second period showing.  

“We talked after the first period, as good as we thought we were, we didn’t get any traffic in front of the goaltender, and we needed to get shots through. That just frustrates you, but it kind of turned the whole game and got them [Potsdam] on a ‘here we go again’ mentality. We took off, and never really felt threatened,” Dickinson said.  

The Golden Eagles were back in action Saturday night against Plattsburgh state and had another dominant victory 7-3. Friday, Nov. 19 they will be home again against Oswego State at 7:00 p.m. in the Tuttle North Ice Arena.