Culture clubs kick-off the semester

The Association of Latinx American Students [ALAS] held their first family meeting of the semester on Tuesday, Sept. 14.  This organization allows Latinx students to express and share their culture with others through music, food and events. ALAS President, Jesús Cabrera, kicked off the meeting by talking about Hispanic heritage month, followed by the different ways people celebrate it. 

Additionally, SUNY Brockport students of the Latinx community expressed their interests in the club, wanting to either get closer to their roots or become more integrated in the Brockport Latinx community.  

Vice president Yelissa Delgado is excited to be a part of a club that helps others embrace their Hispanic heritage and provides a sense of community.  

“Even though it’s the beginning of the academic year, we’re already growing as a family. I’m excited to see what this year has in store for us,” Delgado said.  

Members of the E-board also took time to emphasize the available Secretary and Treasurer positions, as well as dancers for their performance group. They asked for those interested in filling those positions to reach out.  

Towards the end of the meeting, ALAS members presented their kick-off event of the semester, Calle Ocho. This block party themed event will take place September 24, in Commissary Park. There will be games, Hispanic food, a live DJ and raffles.  

Calle Ocho offers all things essential to give students a block party vibe and will set the tone for future ALAS events throughout the school year.