Softball splits doubleheader with Buffalo State, remains .500

Julia Palopoli delivers a pitch in Brockport’s second game of the day against Buffalo State. (Photo credit: Mathieu Starke via Flickr)

By Paul Cifonelli / Editor-in-Chief

The SUNY Brockport softball team just can’t sweep a doubleheader. The Golden Eagles split a set with Buffalo State for the second time today, losing the first game 4-1 and winning the second 9-1 in five innings. Brockport sits at 5—5 on the season with three doubleheaders remaining.

Buffalo State got off to a good start offensively in the first game, scoring once in the second inning and twice more in the fourth. Emily Willis-Nersinger scored for the Golden Eagles in the bottom of the fourth on an error, but that represented all of the offense Brockport could muster.

Willis-Nersinger was the only Golden Eagle with multiple hits in the first game, going 2-for-3. Olivia Hayden, Emma DeJesus, Syd Bolton and Jenna Downey also had hits for Brockport.

Brockport’s offense bounced back in a big way in game two, with the Golden Eagles scoring eight runs in the first two frames. Six runs came in the first inning and five players had at least one RBI. DeJesus got the scoring started with an RBI single, Molly Ryan had a two-RBI double and Amanda Blakely, Madison Evarts and Hayden also knocked in runs in the first.

Blakely delivered the gut punch in the second inning with a two-run single. Downey drove in the game-winning run in the fifth inning on a single that triggered the mercy rule.

Julia Palopoli threw all five innings, allowing just the one run on four hits and a walk. Palopoli also added four strikeouts. Of the last eight hitters she faced, seven were retired and one reached on an error.

Hayden and Evarts paced Brockport’s offense in game two with three hits apiece. Willis-Nersinger, Ryan and Blakely all had two hits and DeJesus, Downey and Cameryn Duggan each notched one.

Brockport’s next doubleheader is on Wednesday, April 28 at home against SUNY Geneseo. The first game starts at 3 p.m., and the second is scheduled for 5 p.m.