Saturday Sports Wrap: Baseball and women’s lacrosse stay hot; Tennis drops season opener

Tom Kretzler throws a pitch against SUNY Fredonia earlier this season. (Photo credit: Zach Lyman via Flickr)

BASEBALL
BROCKPORT (11-2) 8
SUNY FREDONIA (1-7) 1
Brockport got an RBI from seven different players to beat SUNY Fredonia for the fifth time this season. Matt O’Dair was the only Golden Eagle with multiple RBI, hitting a run-scoring single in the fifth and a sacrifice fly in the eighth.

Tom Kretzler kicked off the scoring with a double that plated Ryan Mansell in the fourth. Justin Pangburn and James Houlahan both added RBI singles in the fifth inning. Jake Sisto hit a sacrifice fly immediately after O’Dair in the eighth and Daniel Delgazio and Nicholas Pastore added RBI singles in the ninth. Pastore led Brockport with three hits, while Mansell, Kretzler and Delgazio all added two.

Kyle Canavally threw the first 6.1 innings and didn’t allow a run over that time. He surrendered two walks and two hits to go with four strikeouts. Canavally’s longest stretch without allowing a baserunner was six batters. Trevor McCarthy finished off the final 2.2 innings. The graduate student allowed a single hit and an earned run while striking out four batters.

BROCKPORT (12-2) 8
SUNY FREDONIA (1-8) 1
Tom Kretzler had his third multi-home run game of the season to lead Brockport to its ninth consecutive win. Kretzler opened the scoring with a two-run shot in the first inning, then hit another two-run homer in the sixth. He finished the game 2-for-5 with 5 RBI, including a ground out that plated Ryan Mansell in the second.

Ryan Voight and Daniel Delgazio also scored on wild pitches in the first inning, getting the Golden Eagles out to a 4-0 lead in the first. Delgazio drove in Brockport’s only other run with an RBI single in the fourth inning. Voight and Delgazio joined Kretzler as the only Golden Eagles with multiple hits. Voight was a perfect 3-for-3, while Delgazio notched two base knocks.

Matt McGowan was cruising for five innings, striking out eight and only allowing two hits and a walk. Nicholas Lawlor and Colin Pytlak both threw and inning to close out the game, with Pytlak giving up the lone run of the game. Pytlak notched three punch outs for all of the outs he got.

WOMEN’S LACROSSE

#17 BROCKPORT (7-2) 22
SUNY OSWEGO (3-3) 9
Brockport scored seven goals in a row in the middle of the first half to pull away from SUNY Oswego. Danielle Hemly and Allison Jennings scored two goals apiece during the run for the Golden Eagles.

Heather Conklin surpassed 200 career goals in the game with another six goals. She also assisted on two other goals, scored by Natalie Strough and Hemly. Jennings and Hemly both finished the game with three goals and two assists. Cassidy Burnash netted four goals, Courtney Cunningham and Logan Hibbard scored twice apiece and Strough and Alexandria VanDerKar scored once. 

TENNIS

SUNY FREDONIA (2-1) 6
BROCKPORT (0-1)

Brockport won two of the four singles matches in its first team match of the season. Sarah Mahar won her second singles match 4-6, 6-4, 7-5, and Linda Coleman won third singles 6-4, 6-0. Andrea Banke and Coleman teamed up to win their second doubles match 8-6.