Wednesday Sports Wrap: Women’s lacrosse gets revenge against SUNY Geneseo; Baseball stays hot, sweeps RIT

Heather Conklin scopes out the field against SUNY Geneseo. (Photo credit: Mathieu Starke via Flickr)

By Paul Cifonelli / Editor-in-Chief

WOMEN’S LACROSSE

#12 SUNY GENESEO (3-2) 7
#17 BROCKPORT (5-2) 15
Brockport went on a 5-1 run at the end of the first half to exact its revenge on SUNY Geneseo in a top 25 battle. Heather Conklin netted three of the Golden Eagles’ five goals during that run, with Natalie Strough and Courtney Cunningham scoring the others.

Geneseo was able to cut its deficit to three with 25:37 left in the game, but Brockport finished the game 6-1 to stomp out any comeback efforts. Conklin also found the back of the net three times during this stretch and she finished with seven goals. Cunningham scored four goals for the Golden Eagles, with Cassidy Burnash scoring two and Strough and Logan Hibbard contributing one apiece. Strough had three of Brockport’s 10 assists in the contest. Allison Jennings, Danielle Hemly and Hibbard all had two helpers and Conklin added one. Morgan Elmer made 17 saves in goal for Brockport to secure the victory.

BASEBALL

ROCHESTER INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (4-10) 1
BROCKPORT (9-2) 2
Andrew Huffman only allowed one run over 5.2 innings as Brockport won its sixth game in a row. Huffman struck out six and allowed only four hits and two walks. Nicholas Lawlor came in to finish off the sixth inning for Huffman, then Colin Pytlak got his first save of the year in a clean seventh inning.

Brockport’s only scoring came in the third inning. Matt O’Dair singled home Justin Pangburn, then O’Dair scored on a Nicholas Pastore double. Pastore had two hits for the Golden Eagles and had the team’s only extra base hit. O’Dair, Ryan Mansell and Ryan Voight had Brockport’s other hits.

Matt O’Dair makes a throw to get a runner out against Rochester Institute of Technology. (Photo credit: Sam Cherubin via Flickr)

ROCHESTER INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (4-11) 0
BROCKPORT (10-2) 3
Kobie Punchard and Matt McGowan combined for a one-hit shutout to help Brockport to its third consecutive sweep. Punchard allowed the lone hit and walked three batters, but threw 4.2 innings and struck out one. McGowan threw two perfect innings to close out the game and notched only one strikeout.

Ryan Mansell and Tom Kretzler both had extra base hits that drove in runs in the third inning. Mansell tripled in Justin Pangburn, then scored on Kretzler’s double. In the sixth inning, Matt O’Dair knocked in Daniel Delgazio, who tripled to reach base, with a single. O’Dair notched two more in the hits in the game, raising his season batting average to .600. Mansell, Kretzler, Delgazio, Pangburn and Michael Splunick had the Golden Eagles’ only other hits.