In-person commencement ceremonies announced for SUNY Brockport graduates, no guests allowed

SUNY Brockport students in the 2021 graduating class finally have some answers as to what their commencement ceremony will look like.

COVID-19 guidelines and regulations have changed rapidly over the past year, with a spike in cases in the fall and vaccine rollouts in the spring, it’s been difficult to keep up. Strict state guidelines have loosened up after the decrease in cases and increase in vaccines administered.

SUNY Brockport President Heidi Macpherson announced Tuesday that students will be able to have an in-person graduation, but there’s a catch.

No guests are allowed.

On Saturday May 22, the traditional formal portion of the commencement ceremony will take place virtually through YouTube. This includes traditional speeches and the conferral of an honorary degree.

The in-person portion will be offered in a series of “modified Commencement celebrations” during the week of May 17. Both undergraduate and graduate students are allowed to register to attend the ceremony of their choice. These modified ceremonies will feature brief remarks, followed by the conferral of degrees, and an opportunity for each graduate to receive their diploma cover, have their name read, walk across the stage, and have their photo taken.

These ceremonies will be livestreamed on the college’s website for those who want to watch.

More details are expected in the coming days.