Power line mishap prompts power outage, canceled classes

Former SUNY Brockport President John Van de Wetering died last week at the age of 93. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

The North side of SUNY Brockport’s campus lost power Friday morning after a contractor struck a power line. As a result, all Friday classes were canceled and the facilities and planning teams had to scramble to make students without power as comfortable as possible.

In an email, President Macpherson said power is not expected to be restored until 4-6 a.m. Saturday morning. This isn’t definitive — it could come back sooner or possibly later depending on any unexpected problems.

The Brockway Dining Hall has a full generator which will allow for hot meals from 5:30-7:30 Friday night. Briggs Hall will also have a full generator.

All other residence halls have emergency lighting and operational restrooms. Students are asked not to open their windows until the problem is resolved in order to keep as much heat as possible in the building.

Here are some additional steps the school is taking to cater to students’ needs:

• — Wi-Fi-equipped study spaces are available in SERC (which has extended its hours of operation and will now close at 11:30 pm)
  • —Tuttle Eagle’s Lookout (until 10 pm) and in the Liberal Arts Building (all first and second floor classrooms and McCue Auditorium until 10 pm).
  • —Students are encouraged to utilize these spaces to study, get warm, and charge their devices. As always, face coverings and social distancing are required.
  • —Residence halls are each offering several small in-person programs.
  • —BSG, Student Union & Activities, and Campus Recreation have teamed up to offer “Friday Night Lights at The SERC.” Residential students have been emailed about this great programming, which will be offered until 11:30 pm.

This is a developing story, The Stylus will provide updates as they become available.