SUNYAC sports competition to begin on March 20

The Jim & John Vlogianitis Gymnasium is the home of SUNY Brockport’s basketball teams and volleyball team. (Photo credit: Sam Cherubin via Flickr)

By Paul Cifonelli / Editor-in-Chief

SUNY Chancellor Jim Malatras announced that the SUNYAC will be resuming competition for baseball, softball, lacrosse and track and field on March 20. These sports were deemed lower-risk because they are played outdoors.

Student-athletes will be required to be tested three days before competition in order to ensure that nobody competes with COVID-19. Additionally, all players, coaches and personnel will be required to wear masks at all time, except for athletes who are on the field of play.

The SUNYAC will be separated into an East and West division. The breakdown of the divisions will vary sport-to-sport, as not every league member fields a team in all the sports that will resume. Malatras said that the purpose of creating divisions is to eliminate as much travel and as many overnight trips as possible.

Participation in any NCAA tournaments is still up in the air, but the situation will be assessed when the time comes.

Spectators will not be allowed for any competition for now, but Malatras said that if people continue getting vaccinated and positivity rates stay low, then spectators could be allowed in the future.

If competition occurs without significant pauses due to COVID-19 infection, Malatras said indoor sports and other on-campus activities will start to reopen.