SUNY Brockport pushes back start to spring semester

By Paul Cifonelli / Editor-in-Chief

SUNY Brockport President Heidi Macpherson announced in an email that start date for the spring semester has been pushed back to Feb. 8. Additionally, the first day in-person instruction can resume is March 1.

Macpherson wrote that the plan is still pending approval from SUNY and could still be altered due to a larger-than-expected spread of COVID-19.

The decision comes as COVID-19 continues to spread and infection numbers are reaching all-time highs. It is projected by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) that the beginning of 2021 could be the worst months yet in terms of virus spread.

For more information, go to https://brockport.edu/academics/special_sessions/winter/index.html.

To combat the spread of the virus on campus, the college is going to change its testing strategy. Any student moving back into campus dormitories will need to provide proof of a negative test result three to five days before returning. Any off-campus student will need to provide proof of a negative test three to five days before they return to campus for class. Additionally, students will be tested by the school when they return to Brockport. The pool testing Brockport did during the fall semester will continue into the spring semester.