Askin flies into record books

Brockport Athletics
Nick Askin scanning the field for Brockport. Askin leads Brockport with 26 goals in five games this season.

A graduate transfer from Lake Erie College, Nick Askin set a new single-game goals record when Brockport men’s lacrosse defeated Westminster College 20-8 this past weekend. He scored 10 goals in the game, which broke the previous program record of seven.  

Askin was honored to break the record, especially after dealing with injuries throughout his career.  

“My one goal was to come back and prove to myself that I was better than what I was before my injuries,” Askin said. “When I did that, the first thought that went through my head was thinking of the whole journey that I’ve had to go through and how my career has honestly been up and down. After that game, I felt like I proved to myself that I was able to overcome any adversity that went through my career.”   

Askin was also named SUNYAC Offensive Athlete of the Week for the record-breaking performance. He is happy to win the award, but he just wants to see the team be successful.  

“It’s a really nice feeling to be one of the players selected,” Askin said. “But honestly, for me, I’m trying to remain humble so we can move on and hopefully get some more wins under our belt because the main goal is winning, and we need some more of that.”  

In his first season with the Golden Eagles, Askin currently leads the team in goals with 26 and points with 28. Askin has loved his time with the program so far.  

“I am enjoying it a lot,” Askin said. “The camaraderie with the team is amazing. Seeing how we attack different stuff is really interesting. I’ve really enjoyed meeting everyone and being back in my home state for lacrosse.” 

Askin’s younger brother, Nathan, is also a member of the lacrosse team. Nick is joyful that he gets to share the field with his brother.  

“It’s what you dream of,” Nick Askin said. “Not many brothers get a chance to play together. I wanted to get to play with him and see him every day and just watch him grow and develop. There’s just nothing like it. It was worth everything I did to come here to be able to play with him.”  

The Golden Eagles are currently 1-4 on the season and will look to get back on track when they travel to Pittsburgh, PA to take on Chatham University on Tuesday, March 19 at 4 p.m.