SUNY Brockport University Police will no longer use ‘Thin Blue Line’ flag

SUNY Brockport University Police Chief Daniel Vasile released a statement Tuesday afternoon, announcing that the University Police will no longer use the Thin Blue Line flag in official college capacities.

Vasile said this decision was made in light of recent concern and confusion over the usage of the flag in photos posted on the UP’s Instagram account.

The Thin Blue Line flag, according to Vasile, was adopted by law enforcement professionals in the 1950s to represent their courage and sacrifice. The ‘thin blue line’ symbolically represents how law enforcement separates law-abiding citizens from those who intend to cause chaos.

Recently, the ‘Blue Lives Matter’ movement has used the flag to oppose or undermine the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement, and in some cases has been hijacked by white supremacists and hate groups to further divide.

Vasile said their usage of the flag is not associated with the ‘Blue Lives Matter’ movement.

“We want there to be no confusion in our community: University Police stands firmly against hate. Therefore, University Police will no longer be using this flag in official college capacities,” Vasile said.

Vasile said the University Police are engaging in trainings and participating in the 21-day racial equity challenge in order to better meet the needs of a diverse community.

An advisory board is also in the process of being established. It’s open to all students, faculty and staff. If you are interested in becoming a part of the advisory board, you can contact Chief Vasile.