Swick swings into the record books  

Rachel Swick competing on bars last season. (Photo Credit: Kaite Wilson/Brockport Athletics)

The success of the Brockport gymnastics team has become ingrained in the athletics program at SUNY Brockport. A team that consistently goes to the national tournament boasts talent up and down their lineup. This past weekend many of them put on a show as Brockport defeated Ithaca at the Harriet Marranca Memorial Invite. One of the most impressive performances of the day, however, came from fifth-year Rachel Swick. 

Swick made history last Sunday, Feb. 18, as she set a new program record on the uneven bars with a score of 9.875. Swick spoke about her wholehearted commitment to her sport as the reason for her success. 

“Setting a new record on bars was an incredibly fulfilling moment,” Swick said. “It is a testament to all the years of hard work, dedication, and perseverance I have poured into this sport. I came back to Brockport for my fifth year because I knew I had more gymnastics in me, and breaking this record reminds me of why I am here. It’s a feeling of accomplishment and pride that is hard to put into words.” 

With a team that is so widely successful, there is massive trust among the team to have shared goals and aspirations and Swick says one main goal is what precedes all others for the gymnastics team here at Brockport. 

“We all have a common desire to excel in gymnastics and represent Brockport with pride in and out of the gym,” Swick said. 

Goals along with a close comradery are what Swick recognizes as the key to her success year after year. 

“My teammates are a constant source of motivation and inspiration,” Swick said. “Whether it is through friendly competition, constructive feedback, or words of encouragement, they challenge me to push my limits and strive for excellence every day. On my best days and on my worst days, my teammates are by my side nonetheless. I am extremely grateful to have such supportive teammates.” 

Swick wants to enjoy every moment of her season as she competes in the final year of her beloved sport. But she, along with her teammates, still wants to be aggressive and achieve some of the post-season goals that make the Brockport gymnastics team so revered across the country.  

“My goal for this year is not only to continue improving my gymnastics but also to savor and enjoy every moment of this final year of my gymnastics career,” Swick said. “Competing with passion and joy while making the most of every opportunity is important to me as I approach the end of this chapter.” 

“As for the team, I hope to see us compete to our full potential in our postseason competitions,” Swick said. “Everybody has been working so hard and I believe we have what it takes to accomplish our post-season goals.”