Golden Eagles plant themselves in record books 

Craig Duffy was among a number of Golden Eagles to set new records this past weekend in Boston. (Photo Credit: Liv Metz/Brockport Athletics)

The Brockport Golden Eagles Indoor Track and Field team re-wrote the record books at Boston University on Saturday. At the meet schools like Alabama, LSU, Pittsburgh, Harvard and many other Power Five Division One Universities were in action. BU is known for having one of the best banked indoor tracks in America. For Jacob Miller and Craig Duffy, the track helped put their names at number one in the record books. 

Just a week after Miller broke the 400-meter men’s record with a 48.57, the sophomore would run a 47.86 to own the two fastest 400-meter times in Brockport history. That time was good for 13th out of 213 runners. 

“I think I was really looking forward to capitalizing on the opportunity to run at Boston,” Miller said. “I was really looking to outrun my converted time from a flat track to a bank track and then take a little bit off my school record.”  

Miller was grateful for the opportunity to run against some of the top Division One programs in the country. 

“When you see someone lining up in like a power five conference school, it is intimidating, but you have the same opportunity as them and I wanted to perform,” Miller said.  

Going to the 200-meter race, Duffy, an international student from Ireland broke the previous record by .01 seconds posting a 21.84.   

“My main goal was to break the 22-second mark,” Duffy said.  

With the Indoor Track and Field SUNYAC conference championships coming up in a little over a week, pressure is building.  

“I want to get us as a team to stay calm and get us united,” Duffy said.  

Outdoor season starts shortly after conference championships. Duffy is looking forward to keeping his success rolling. 

“I’m coming for all the records,” Duffy said.  

Kerry Flower earned the SUNYAC Women’s Indoor Track and Field Athlete of the Week. She posted a 17:26 in the 5k good for the second-fastest time in Brockport history. 

Jonathan Zavala also broke his own school record in the men’s mile posting a 4:07.85.  

Michael Durski posted a 49.42 in the 400-meter, which marks him third in indoor men’s history for Brockport. 

The Golden Eagles will travel to Nazareth on Feb. 16 to get amped up for the SUNYAC championships which will be held at the SERC on Feb. 23.