Kay earns second NCGA East All-Around honor 

Brockport’s Lienna Kay won her second NCGA East All-Around Gymnast of the week this season. (Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics)

On Monday, Lienna Kay was selected as the NCGA East All-Around Gymnast of the week after posting an all-around score of 38.600 in the victory over Cortland this past Saturday. This is her second time winning the honor this season. She posted new personal bests of 9.725 on the uneven bars, 9.675 on the balance beam, and 9.700 on the floor. She also posted a 9.500 on the vault.  

“It just feels like I’m improving and progressing,” Kay said. “If you look at how I did from last time to this time, I feel like the first time wasn’t my best performance. This time I feel like I did a lot better. I just feel like my hard work is starting to pay off and if I keep doing that I can just keep getting better and better.”  

Teammate Emma Grace Sargent has been very impressed with how Kay has performed so far this season.  

“She blows us away with how hard she works in practice,” Sargent said. “She deserves the success that she’s found this year, and she goes about it very humbly and is super fun to be around. I’ve loved having her on the team and just helping guide her through little things and watching her grow and gain confidence and then really peak at this.”  

Kay credits Sargent for impacting her success so far this season.  

“She’s definitely impacted me a lot,” Kay said. “I feel like she is just a big role model to me in terms of her work ethic and she is just a really kind person.” 

Although Kay does every event, the bars are what she enjoys.   

“My whole life bars have been my favorite,” Kay said. “It’s just fun. It’s smooth and it feels like you are flying. I mean, what isn’t fun about it?”  

The Golden Eagles are currently 7-1 on the season and will look for their eighth win as they travel to Cornell University this weekend for the Empire State Collegiate Championship on Saturday, February 11th.