Sargent soars into record books  

Emma Grace Sargent’s 9.850 on the uneven bars set a new program record on Saturday, Feb. 3. (Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics)

Senior gymnast Emma Grace Sargent set a new program record on the uneven bars in Brockport’s home victory over the Cortland Red Dragons this past weekend. Sargent posted a 9.850 on the event, breaking the previous record of 9.800 held by teammate Taylor Bushey.  

Sargent was honored to break the record, especially with a program that has a long history of success. 

“To put together a routine and a meet in front of judges, and earn that score was just really exciting and fulfilling,” Sargent said. “And the fact that it’s a new school record at a school like Brockport that has such a great history as a team is an honor.”  

Sargent’s teammate Taylor Bushey was impressed by her all-around performance.  

“Emma’s routine was gorgeous,” Bushey said. “She did an amazing job the whole meet. She had a great meet and it was awesome to watch. I know we are all super excited for her.”  

Bushey and Sargent have been friends for their entire careers at Brockport and Sargent praises Bushey for her talents and success on the uneven bars.  

“Taylor has always been a good friend of mine since freshman year,” Sargent said. “She is a bar specialist and I’ve always done bars too. She has always been a super supportive teammate and she’s incredible at bars. She deserves a title just as much as I do and she could easily come take it back from me at any meet coming up.”  

Sargent and the Golden Eagles head to Cornell University this weekend for the Empire State Collegiate Championship on Saturday, Feb. 11.