Brockport defeats Alfred on Senior Day 

Boutin running into the end zone. Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics

The Golden Eagles celebrated 25 seniors in their 35-14 victory over the Alfred Saxons.   

Both teams were unable to score in the first quarter. Alfred struck first at the 10:53 mark in the second quarter after running back Max Freeman IV punched it from a yard out to cap off a 12-play 57-yard and put the Saxons up 7-0. 

The Saxons dominated the first half. With 5:03 left in the second quarter, Brockport quarter back Chris McGuire scampered into the endzone for a 4-yard rushing touchdown to tie the game 7-7. 

Defensive back Raylens Boutin gave the Golden Eagles a 14-7 lead at the 9:17 mark in the third quarter on a 22-yard punt return touchdown.  

Brockport scored four unanswered touchdowns in the second half. With 14:56 in the fourth quarter, quarter running back Isaiah Simmons got into the endzone on a 2-yard run to extend the Brockport lead to 21-7. Simmons finished the day with 180 rushing yards and a touchdown.  

At the 13:54 mark, in the fourth quarter, wide receiver Liam O’Mara blocked a punt and returned it for a touchdown to give the Golden Eagles a 28-7 lead. After a Raylens Boutin interception, the 14th of his career, Brockport at the Alfred 39-yard line, running back Cameron Mesh joined in on the fun, running it from 6-yards out to make it a 35-7 game.  

Late in the fourth quarter, Max Freeman IV scored his second rushing touchdown of the game from 2-yards out to cut the deficit to 35-14.  

Raylens Boutin ended his day with three total tackles, an interception and a punt return touchdown. Senior linebacker Ben Robinson had 11 total tackles, 1.5 tackles for a loss, and a sack in the game.  

“I’ve loved every second of it,” Robinson said. “I love football but more importantly I love this team. I love the culture they got here at Brockport; I’ve always loved it from the second I stepped on the field.” 

Head coach Jason Mangone was impressed with how the seniors played this season.  

“We’ve leaned on them all year and that’s unfortunate,” Mangone said. “They have answered the bell every time. The defense has been solid, and those guys have been steady all year for us. It’s been fun to watch those guys.”  

The Golden Eagles finished the season with an 8-2 record overall and a 5-1 record in the Empire 8. They now are waiting to see if they will play in a bowl game.