Talbert wins second E8 Defensive Player of the Week  

Mike Talbert has been the leader of a Brockport defense that ranks third Div. III in points per game allowed. (5.71) (Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics)

Brockport Football linebacker Mike Talbert Jr. was named Empire 8 Defensive Player of the Week for his performance in the 49-0 victory over the Morrisville Mustangs this past week. He had five tackles, 1.5 tackles for a loss, one sack, and a quarterback hurry in the win. This is his second E8 honor of 2023.   

Despite missing the last two weeks of action, Talbert still ranks third in the Empire 8 in sacks with 3.5 and is first in the Empire 8 with a total of 10.0 tackles for a loss, an average of two tackles for loss per game.   

“I have a genius of a defensive coordinator in Coach Fox,” Talbert said. “He always puts us in the right position and trusts us to make big-time plays. It feels great to be recognized a second time for my efforts on defense. I have great teammates that pave the way for me to make plays.”  

The Brockport defense is allowing just 5.7 points per game, this ranks third in Division III and first in the Empire 8. They have only allowed four touchdowns in seven games and haven’t allowed a single point in the last eight quarters.  

A transfer from Louisiana Christian University, Talbert has been a major factor in the success in his first year with the program. The junior linebacker has seemingly found a home as a Golden Eagle.  

“I love being a Golden Eagle,” Talbert said. “This season has been great so far and I’m enjoying every bit of it. The bond I’ve built with these guys is special.”  

Brockport sits at 6-1 overall and is currently tied for second place in the Empire 8 with Utica University. The Golden Eagles host the Pioneers in a crucial Empire 8 matchup on Saturday, Oct. 28 with kickoff scheduled for 2 p.m at Bob Boozer Field.