Field Hockey sweeps SUNYAC Athletes of the Week 

The Golden Eagles swept Athlete of the Week honors in the SUNYAC. (Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics)

Both players have been immense, leading the Golden Eagles to a 9–4 overall record this season. 

The team has struggled in conference play but looked to turn that around as they clinched their first SUNYAC win against the Oneonta Red Dragons away from home last Saturday. This put their conference record at 1-2 and moved them to fourth place in the conference.  

Offensive player of the week, Emmalee Moore scored two goals in the win against the Red Dragons, grabbing the game-winner for her team. This impressive performance saw Moore tie second for points on the team (21) and third on the team in goals (7).  

“Winning against Oneonta was an amazing experience for the entire team,” Moore said. “Being the one to score the goal feels really good, but there is no way I could do it without every one of my teammates and coaches. They all push me to do better and be better, and I am so thankful that we got to experience that game together.” 

“It makes me feel motivated and helps me to push myself for my teammates. I think that winning the weekly honor along with my teammate makes it even more special and can show us that we can be a top team in the conference.” 

Moore also credited her teammates for her impactful stats during the season so far. 

“When I have the ball on the field, my first thought is to create an opportunity,” Moore said. “By this I mean that I want to start or continue a play that will take us to goal. I play in the midfield so most of the time I try to set my teammates up for shots on goal. I try my best to play more offensively and take shots on goal when the opportunities are there, but it really depends on the situation of the game. I have focused a lot of my skill development on seeing passes to set either my teammates or myself up for an opportunity on goal.”  

Chalmers has been a mainstay for the Golden Eagle’s defense. She leads the team in minutes played with 641 minutes. The defender was happy to win the award and put a lot of her success down to the massive amount of trust between her and the entire team.  

“I feel very thankful to win defensive player of the week,” Chalmers said. “I am so honored to be able to get this level of recognition. It is hard to measure defensive players with statistics like offensive players, but it feels good knowing that our hard work does not go unnoticed.” 

“I trust everyone on my team along with the coaching staff, and know they trust me as well. I have confidence in each and every player on our team, especially when we play selflessly and for each other. We are one big family and love each other to the point where trust comes naturally. “ 

Chalmers talked about standards and how keeping them high within the team will push them to only improve as they enter the final stages of the season.  

“Our team holds very high standards for one another, and we push each other to be the best we can be. It also really helps us out as defensive players when our offensive players don’t take it easy on us. They work hard to make us better and we do the same in return.” 

“We all want to get better and work together rather than individually to continue moving forward successfully. One of our goals is to get 1% better every single day. If we continue this throughout the rest of our season, we can face anyone who comes our way.” 

The Golden Eagles will face Oswego State in their next game at home Saturday, Oct. 14 as they look to gain their second SUNYAC win. The team will continue to look towards their stars such as Moore and Chalmers as they push for a playoff spot.