Men’s basketball Head Coach Greg Dunne retires

Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics

By Shannon Blankenship & Mike Rose

After 24 years with the program, Coach Greg Dunne announced his retirement.

He leaves behind a legacy of values and respect that will forever be honored by the school and program. 

“As I step away from my role as the head men’s basketball coach at SUNY Brockport, I do so with a heart full of gratitude and a deep sense of fulfillment. It has been an incredible journey, one filled with remarkable experiences and cherished memories,” Dunne said in the Brockport Athletics press release. 

His accolades by themselves speak volumes about his career, let alone him leaving as the winningest head coach in program history. 

Dunne led the Green and Gold to five SUNYAC Championships games– winning three, four NCAA Division III Tournament appearances and was a two-time SUNYAC Coach of the Year, National Coach of the Year, National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District Coach of the Year and United States Basketball Writers Association (USBWA) All-Rochester Area Coach of the Year. 

In addition to all of these awards, Dunne coached 32 SUNYAC All-Conference selections, three SUNYAC Rookie of the Year selections, two SUNYAC Defensive Players of the Year selections, one SUNYAC Player of the Year and an All-American First Team selection. 

While he may not be on the sidelines, the culture he has built will continue to fuel the program for many years to come. 

Athletic Director Erick Hart has also felt Dunne’s impact. 

“Coach Dunne’s unwavering dedication and tireless commitment to our basketball program have left an indelible mark on SUNY Brockport Athletics,” Hart said in the press release. “His 24 year journey on our coaching staff has not only shaped the lives of countless student-athletes but has also set a standard of excellence that will continue to inspire generations to come.”

For the past five years, senior Tyler Cowie has developed a relationship with Dunne beyond the basketball court. 

“He was very impactful not just as a coach but as a mentor in my life,” Cowie said. “I’m disappointed that we couldn’t get him a final SUNYAC Championship last year. I will miss him greatly but am appreciative of the opportunity to play under him.”

While Dunne’s retirement may be a closing chapter for him, Interim Head Coach Joe Clarke is starting the first page of his. 

“I am beyond excited and grateful for this opportunity,” Clarke said in the press release. “I want to thank Coach Dunne for the everlasting impact he has made in my life– a lesson that has taught me what ‘coaching’ truly means. I look forward to leading our program while maintaining the family culture that Coach Dunne has worked so hard to establish and maintain over the years.”

As Dunne steps away, he keeps a piece of this team with him. 

“Thank you to everyone who has been a part of this journey. It’s been an honor serving as your coach.”