Justin DelVecchio: born for the mound

Photo Credit: Kaite Wilson

By Tyler Sadler | Staff Writer

Baseball runs in the DelVecchio family, and Justin DelVecchio has been keeping that tradition alive ever since he was little kid.

“I started baseball at a very young age. My dad played baseball all throughout college, so he signed me up for Tee-Ball and it escalated from there,” DelVecchio said.

DelVecchio not only took after his father when it comes to playing baseball, but also choosing his position. Being able to keep that legacy alive was important to him.

“My dad being a pitcher was definitely a push for me to pitch,” DelVecchio said. “I loved being the center of attention. I loved being in control. Pitching is a position on the field where you are in control of everything. At the end of he day, you have to pitch in order to play,” DelVecchio said.

Creating and building a successful team is not something that happens overnight. After a few difficult seasons of Brockport baseball, this past season they were able to make it to Regionals. Being a part of this turnaround is something DelVecchio is proud of.

“I’m most proud of the creation of the culture here at Brockport,” DelVecchio said. “All of my teammates, including myself, knew that if we wanted to be the team we wanted
to be, we’d have to make a change. We would be on zoom calls, do workouts and even just talk, all to become a tight knit group. It’s awesome to be a part of something that put Brockport back on the map. I’m really proud of this group of guys that I get to call my brothers every single day.”

Being a college athlete can be tough at times, but DelVecchio likes to take it one day at a time and look at it from a positive point of view.

“One of the biggest things I like to remind myself is, at he end of the day, it’s just a game,” DelVecchio said. “I put a lot of stress on myself and try to be the best player I can be, but sometimes forget to have fun and cherish the moments.”

DelVecchio gives advice to other athletes who may be having these same thoughts of doubt and may be questioning their future in their sport.

“I think if I want one thing for people to know whenever they are stressed about their sport or not doing their best, it’s to remind yourself what got you here and why you fell in love with the sport. Especially for college athletes, remember how you got to where you’re playing and see how far you’ve came,” DelVecchio said.

DelVecchio has been able to learn things from baseball and implement them into his personal life. Teamwork, time management, and discipline are just some of the elements Taylor has been able to take away from playing baseball.

“In a weird way, baseball is a humbling sport just like the game of life,” DelVecchio said. “Some days everything can go right, and the next everything could go wrong. The mental side of baseball has made me mentally tougher in life that I use on and off the field every day.”

After not getting much playing time in his freshman and sophomore seasons, the senior pitcher is taking advantage of his opportunities for the last two seasons, posting 48 hits, 27 runs and two home runs, while also posting a career 3.83 ERA.