Tips and tricks to navigating “cold season” 

Hazen Hall. Photo Credit: Graciella Dressler

It’s not being outside in the cold weather that increases the chances of getting sick, it’s going indoors to the warm crowded rooms that make the cold season brutal.   

Right now, SUNY Brockport’s Hazen Health Center is seeing an increase in sick students. The Associate Director of Hazen Health Center, Sharon Stone, has seen several students with COVID-19, GI infections, viral upper respiratory infections, viral sinusitis, conjunctivitis but luckily not a whole lot of flu.  

“There is nothing true at all about the cold making you sick,” Stone said. When the weather turns cold more people turn to staying indoors and people come into close contact with others that are sick. The coughing and sneezing plus smaller boundaries are where infections and sickness can spread quickly.  

College students may find themselves getting sick very easily during this season, but there are other ways and tips to stay healthy.  

“First of all, don’t forget that we [the Hazen Health Center] are here for you. We hand a lot of free things that can help if you are not feeling well,” Stone said. “Hazen is located near Daily Hall and is open Monday-Friday (8 a.m.-4:45 p.m.). Medicine can be expensive or not accessible to students, which is what makes Hazen such a great tool for its students. Even if a student has a simple headache, Hazen can supply medicine or in more extreme cases preform a medical examination.” 

There are other things students can do to avoid a trip to Hazen, such as getting a full eight hours of sleep, as it is extremely important for the body. With all the stress that students undergo through the school year, sleep allows the body to rest and properly fight off infections. As always, a good diet helps the body stay healthy and if fruits and vegetables are not an easy access item, Stone recommends taking a multi-vitamin as a substitute.  

Chills, feverishness, cough with flehm (productive cough), shortness of breath are the big symptoms to lookout for when feeling sick. If any of those symptoms are present, students should schedule an appointment and come into Hazen.  

In cases of COVID-19, when a student tests positive, it is recommended that they alert Hazen so they may receive a doctor’s note for excused absences. Students will have to quarantine at home for five days from the onset of symptoms first starting. Students may return home or be isolated in Dobson Hall.  

Hazen Center for Integrated Care is here to assist students with all health-related issues no matter how big or small.   

Appointments can be made online or by calling 585-395-2414.