Track and field regionals recap 

Photo Credit: Brockport Athletics Flickr

The men’s track and field team finished fourth at the All-Atlantic Region Track and Field Indoor Conference Championships this past weekend in New York City. They finished with a score of 52 points. 

Although the team wasn’t able to take home the first place prize there were many Golden Eagles who were able to shine in their respective events.  

The highlight of the day being a first place finish in the distance medley relay race. The team of Thomas Kressly, Kevin Fischer, Nick Markle, and Jonathan Zavala finished with a time of 10:10:60 minutes. 

Dustin Meyer was able to add a second place finish to Brockport’s total in the pole vault event. He was able to clear a total of 4.93 meters. Meyer has been great all year currently sitting at seventh in the country for this event. 

The Golden Eagles were able to add to their point total during the 5000-meter. Jared Smith finished third with a time of 14:04.35. While Paul Suflita finished sixth with a personal record of 15:04.35. 

Smith is a sophomore and majoring in history at Brockport. Being able to compete in a championship setting is something he’s worked for during his athletic career. 

“It’s a humbling experience to even just be there. I did what I could to stay in the present moment and the task at hand,” Smith said. “Thinking about the end result won’t help you when you’re competing, it’s about focusing on the moment and executing.” 

Smith and teammate Paul Suflita established a close bond throughout their time at Brockport together and being able to compete against Suflita was a surreal moment for Smith. 

“Paul has been an incredible mentor for me and many of the guys here. Suflita is a senior at Brockport, I’m going to miss him when he’s gone,” Smith said. 

With a finish of 6.82 meters, Josh Jeziorski was able to register a fifth place finish in the long jump competition. He currently ranks 12th in the nation.  

Going into day two of the championship the Golden Eagles were sitting at second overall with 31 team points. 

Looking to add to the team total Thomas Kressley did so in a big way, finishing second in the 3000-meter with a time of 8:29.72. That time set a new school record for the event. 

With a third place finish in the triple jump, Alex Irving finished with a distance of 13.96 meters. 

Jonathan Zavala placed fifth in the mile run with a time of 14:13.43. Zavala is currently sitting at 14th place in the nation. 

Nick Markle placed seventh with a time of 1:56.31 in the 800-meter. 

Ian Szemcsak placed eighth in the men’s heptathlon event with a final score of 4,001. 

The women’s track and field team ended up finishing sixth at the AARTFC Indoor Conference Championship. They finished with a score of 34 points. 

A new school record was set in the women’s 4×400 meter relay. With a time of 3:59.35 Clara Sensini, Vanessa Ramos, Jennifer Metz, and Sarah Levine placed fifth in the event.  

Kerry Flower placed fourth in the 5000-meter race. Flower finished with a time of 17:47.66. 

Putting up a season best time of 7.91 in the 60-meter dash Sarah Levine was able to qualify for the finals on day two of the championship.  

Mya Henry and Tess Eichner both put up PR’s and top 20 finishes being able to clear 3.26 meters in the pole vaulting event. 

Heading into day two the women’s track and field team was in fifth place with a team score of 18 points. 

With a season best performance Mia Montgomery was able to place fifth in the triple jump with a score of 11.27 meters.  

In the high jump competition Michaela Levesque hit a season best mark with a height of 1.60 meters which was good enough to place sixth. Sarah Killip was able to place ninth with a score of 1.55 meters. 

Jennifer Metz put up a seventh place finish in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:19.46. 

After qualifying for the 60-meter dash finals Sarah Levine put up a time of 8.01 which was good enough for a seventh place finish. 

With a season best time of 59.19, Clara Sensini was able to place ninth in the 400-meter event.  

Brockport is sending five athletes to nationals. Jonathan Zavala, Josh Jeziorski, and Dustin Meyer will represent the men. While Mia Montgomery and Sarah Crockett will represent the women. The top 20 placing teams in the nation will qualify to compete in Birmingham, AL next weekend for the NCAA Indoor Champions.