XC regionals recap: the finish line is just the beginning 

Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams lined up to race in the NCAA Niagara Regionals  on Saturday, Nov. 12. The men wrapped up the day with an all-time performance of second place with 77 points, and the women finished sixth with 196 points. Both teams will send runners to the NCAA Division III Cross Country Championships.  

Senior Kerry Flower placed third with a time of 22:21.9 to secure her second consecutive trip to the championships.Grad student Paul Suflita placed eighth overall in the men’s competition with a time of 25:29.9. This feat has earned him a spot at nationals.  

Flower and teammate Veronica Dailey, (insert time), both gained All-Region status after finishing Top-35. 

Alongside Suflita, six other Golden Eagles earned All-Region status for the men’s team. Jonathan Zavala finished with a time of 25:42.6 taking 11th place. Immediately crossing the line after Zavala was his teammate Jared Smith finishing 12th overall with a time of 25:43.6. Finishing in 21st was Gabe Winters-Bona with a 26:13.3 time. Closely behind him, placing 25th with a time of 26:21.1, was Dillon VanDemortel. The final two Golden Eagles to cross the line were Thomas Kressly and Sean Killip. Kressly complete the race with a time of 26:26.1, while Killip finished right behind clocking in at 26:57.6. 

The NCAA Division III Cross Country Championships will be held on Nov. 19 at Forest Akers East Golf Course on Michigan State University’s campus. The women are set to start at 11:00 a.m., and the men will follow at noon.