Men’s basketball: a tough loss to start the season 

Photo credit: Brockport Athletics Flickr

The Brockport men’s basketball team had their season opener against Alfred University on Tuesday, Nov. 8 at the Jim & John Vlogianitis Gymnasium.  

In a close match up against the Saxons, the Golden Eagles fell short 69-72.  

The Eagles took an early lead of 11-3 just four minutes into the first half. However, the Saxons finished the half strong with a lead of nine and a score of 38-29.  

As the time ticked down, the tension went up. Fans were on the edge of their seats. The Golden Eagles brought the score within one with 46 seconds remaining in the game.  

Fouling twice in hopes that Saxons Kenneth Allison Jr. and Mike Schmidt would miss their free throws, both players went 1-2 with Brockport grabbing the rebound and pushing the ball up the court.  

With one second left on the clock, Beckett gets the last shot of the game.  

Close to hitting the back of the net, the ball did not fall for the Green and Gold.  

Despite the tough game and tough loss, senior guard Jahidi Wallace joined the 1,000 point club. For the game, Wallace went 7-13 from the field and 1-2 from the three point line, finishing with 17 points.  

Keeping the “next play” mentality, the Golden Eagles look forward to playing their second game of the season. The competition will be played at home versus the Keystone Giants on Friday, Nov. 11 at 6:00 p.m.