The Courage Bowl: Camp Good Days lights up the field  

For the past seven years, SUNY Brockport has faced off against St. John Fisher for the annual Courage Bowl football game. With the excitement surrounding the late night game, traditional rivalry and packed stands, the reason they play the game is often overlooked. 

Camp Good Days is an organization whose purpose is to provide children with cancer and children whose families are affected by cancer with year round recreational activities. Every year for the Courage Bowl, these participants become honorary coaches and cheerleaders for the night. All proceeds earned during the game are given entirely to this organization.  

Although the monetary gift supports the group, the experience the children leave with is the most important part. PR Coordinator Lauren O’Dell is able to see their enjoyment firsthand.  

“The Courage Bowl has such a positive impact on the kids; the smiles and laughs on the sidelines are absolutely priceless,” O’Dell said. “I have had so many parents come up to me and express how thankful they are for events like these. From what I’ve seen, the coaches and cheerleaders always have a great time, and I know they will cherish this experience forever.” 

The excitement is a two way street for Brockport and Camp Good Days. Brockport senior wide receiver Jared Maurino stepped onto the field for the Courage Bowl one last time. 

“It’s cool to be able to be on the field with the kids and have them wear our jerseys as well,” Maurino said. “When we run out, they all give us high fives and they’re hype. Then, they get to toss a ball around with us. In the previous years when we won, they’ve been just as excited as us.” 

Beyond seeing smiles and giving high fives, the kids’ impact on the players is bigger than just the basics.  

“Being able to play for the other kids, to give back to them, do things they weren’t able to do, feels just as good as a win,” Maurino said.  

In a similar way, people on the outside can see this influence as well. 

“The college players and cheerleaders are the glue of this event,” O’Dell said. “There is a warmth and sense of welcoming that comes from both teams, and it’s been amazing to see. Some of the players will throw the football around with the honorary coaches, and the cheerleaders will hype up the honorary cheerleaders when they freestyle during a routine–it’s inspiring.” 

Excited about the game, Maurino’s mentality was simple.  

“Last Courage Bowl? I want it to be one to remember,” Maurino said.  

Brockport finished the game with a total of 388 offensive yards compared to Fisher’s 27. Senior Rashad Law led the team with 143 rushing yards. Alongside Law, Maurino finished on top with 29 receiving yards. Two of the four touchdowns came from Law and Maurino. Senior Todd Simmons and Junior Gino Fontanarosa added the other two.  

Winning with a final score of 25-0, Maurino and the Brockport football team played a game to remember.