Protests against Muntaqim speech scheduled for Wednesday evening

Protests are being scheduled for Wednesday, April 6, around 5:45 p.m., less than an hour before Jalil Muntaqim is scheduled to speak virtually to SUNY Brockport students and faculty. 

Charles DeFrank, who announced recent protests on Holley Street via Facebook, has posted that protesters should arrive no earlier than 5 p.m. Wednesday and use campus parking lots D and D1. These lots are typically only used by students and faculty with purchased parking permits.  

The protesters are planning to use Lot G, adjacent to the Tower Fine Arts Center, as a staging area for the rally. Speakers will start around 5:45 p.m., according to the post from late Saturday afternoon.  

The post included a campus map and stated that the protest is intended to be a “peaceful assembly.” SUNY Brockport communications director John Follaco declined to comment on the protest beyond prior statements from the college.  

Classes are scheduled to take place on Wednesday. Professors may choose to excuse absences but are not required to. Some athletic teams have opted to cancel practice Wednesday.