Citizens police academy advocates for community policing on campus

Former SUNY Brockport President John Van de Wetering died last week at the age of 93. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

University Police [UP] held their second Citizens Police Academy meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 22. Officer Gibbs and Lieutenant Officer Burke hosted the meeting inside the UP building where they presented to students at SUNY Brockport, many of whom want to pursue a career in law enforcement.  

The focus of the meeting was to introduce the concepts of community outreach and the importance of building relationships between the SUNY Brockport campus community and UP. During the meeting, Burke and Gibbs stressed the importance of open communication and developing a better understanding of what the community needs.  

“This type of policing is an entirely different approach,” Gibbs said. 

UP’s proposed community policing approach includes developing community partnerships. This may include future meet-and-greet events where students are encouraged to form relations with UP officers over coffee and pumpkin carving. Another way UP develops community partnership is through their social media involvement. Students and community members can find out about events being held and participate with UP officers through their social media pages.  

Regardless of their persistent emphasis on this fresh approach, UP insists that their main priority is the safety of students on campus.  

“Safety is our number one priority,” Burke said. “We want people to feel comfortable walking on campus.”  

UP’s commitment to community policing is seen in its effort to directly educate students on safety and ensure the safety of students both on and off-campus. Through community policing programs, UP has connected with nearly 5,600 members of the SUNY Brockport campus community, while also facilitating safety escorts for students and providing a free emergency alert system for students called RAVE Mobile Safety.  

The Citizens Police Academy meets every Wednesday at 6:30 p.m. in the UP department until Nov. 10. Topics for future discussions will include current drug trends, DWI enforcement, response to critical incidents and impartial policing.