Brockport to follow NCAA’s policy for March Madness

by Paul Cifonelli – Sports Editor

The College at Brockport released a statement shortly after the NCAA with its intentions for the men’s basketball team’s Sweet 16 game against Tufts University on Saturday, March 14. This comes on the same day that Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced all SUNY and CUNY schools would be moving classes to a distance learning format, according to and email sent out by The College at Brockport President Heidi Macpherson.

“Based on recommendations from New York governor Andrew Cuomo, SUNY Brockport and Tufts University have agreed that its NCAA men’s basketball tournament game will be played Saturday, with a restricted attendance policy at Brockport’s Jim & John Vlogianitis Gymnasium,” the athletic department wrote in a press release. “There will be no public ticket sales and only institutional personnel, credentialed student-athlete family members, credentialed media, radio crews, and official team party members will be permitted for attendance.”

The NCAA released a statement earlier in the day on Wednesday, March 11, that it will hold its men’s and women’s Division I NCAA Tournaments without fans in attendance. This comes after a couple days of discussion and debate.

“The NCAA continues to discuss the impact of COVID-19 in consultation with public health officials and our COVID-19 advisory panel,” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a statement that was posted to the association’s Twitter page. “Based on their advice and my discussions with the NCAA Board of Governors, I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family attendance. While I understand how disappointing this is for all fans of our sports, my decision is based on the current understanding of how COVID-19 is progressing in the United States. This decision is in the best interest of public health, including that of coaches, administrators, fans and, most importantly, our student-athletes. We recognize the opportunity to compete in an NCAA national championship is an experience of a lifetime for the students and their families. Today, we will move forward and conduct championships consistent with the current information and will continue to monitor and make adjustments as needed.”

As more information about the situation is released, it will be added to the story.