BSG urges students to ‘vote yes’ for activity fee as polls come to a close

(Photo credit: Ellen Paddock)

By Ellen Paddock / News Editor

SUNY Brockport Student Government Treasurer, Kalista Cherry, met virtually with several club presidents to discuss the importance of the “vote yes” campaign on Thursday, April 15. 

Students have until Sunday, April 18 to cast their votes on whether the $65 student activity fee, which funds campus events and clubs, should be mandatory or not. 

The fee is up for vote every two years and funds priority clubs like 89.1 The Point and Talon Television. Additionally, it funds Eagle Day, Brocktoberfest and club sports. 

If given the choice, it is probable most students will opt out of the activity fee.

“No one wants to pay more than they have to,” Cherry said. “If given the option I’m sure a lot of students would take that off.” 

The alternative to a mandatory fee is an optional $30 “gift to Brockport,” which would cut funding and possibly put an end to some clubs and events. 

“If we do not have a mandatory fee to give out that means we would have to go into more reserves. If we do that it’s essentially not going to look pretty and it’s going to cut funding drastically for each department that we benefit,” Cherry said.  

The student activity fee allows SUNY Brockport to pay its BSG senators and students who work for priority clubs. 

The vote is paired with the 2021 student government election where Justin Crawford and Nia Robertson are running for president and vice president against Cherry and Meaghan Irving. 
Students can vote from the myBrockport homepage.