Friday Sports Wrap: Baseball sweeps SUNY Fredonia; Men’s and women’s track & field take second

Tom Kretzler throws a pitch during Brockport’s win against SUNY Fredonia. (Photo credit: Mathieu Starke via Flickr)

BASEBALL

SUNY FREDONIA (0-4) 10
BROCKPORT (6-2) 14

Brockport’s 10-run first inning propelled the Golden Eagles to their first win of two on the day. Four runs scored in Ryan Mansell’s two at bats in the inning, but three of the runs were unearned. Matt O’Dair and Trevor McCarthy both notched an RBI by being hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Tom Kretzler’s two-run home run capped off the offensive explosion.

Kretzler hit another two-run shot in the third inning, which put Brockport out in front 13-2. O’Dair also picked up two RBI doubles later in the contest. Aside from Kretzler and O’Dair, Daniel Delgazio was the only other Golden Eagle with two hits. They finished the game with 11 base knocks. Brian Tietjan’s only hit of the game was a home run also.

Dylan Hillabush threw three scoreless innings, only surrendering a hit by pitch and striking out two.

Trevor McCarthy waits for a pitch to come in. (Photo credit: Sam Cherubin via Flickr)

SUNY FREDONIA (0-4) 6
BROCKPORT (6-2) 14 
Brockport tallies 10 runs in the second and third innings to complete the sweep of SUNY Fredonia. James Houlahan and Ryan Voight both had three RBI over the two frames, with Matt O’Dair, Justin Pangburn, Ryan Mansell and Daniel Delgazio all contributing to the offensive effort as well.

The Golden Eagles managed 13 hits in the second game. O’Dair went a perfect 3-for-3, while Houlahan, Mansell and Voight contributed two apiece. Tom Kretzler went 1-for-1 with three walks.

Kretzler was also the starting pitcher, throwing six innings and giving up five runs. He allowed nine hits and one walk and racked up seven strikeouts. Ryan Greco relieved him and threw the final inning.

WOMEN’S TRACK & FIELD
Chanyce Powell opened her season with a first-place finish in the triple jump with a jump of 11.05 meters. She beat out Mia Montgomery, who finished in third, by 0.43 meters. Powell also finished in second place in the long jump with a distance of 5.12 meters. Sarah Killip also placed second in her event, the high jump. Killip notched a jump of 1.05 meters.

Alayna Fredenburg set a career-high in the javelin throw, sending it 38.48 meters, good for first place. Sarah Crockett also won the shot put with a throw of 13.01 meters. Emma Kinnicutt placed just behinf Crockett in the shot put, but won the discus by throwing it 37.70 meters.

MEN’S TRACK & FIELD
Matthew Jackson led four Brockport throwers who took all of the top spots in the hammer throw, setting a career-high at 50.81 meters. Elijah Washington, Matt Faulise and Tony DeYoung placed behind Jackson. DeYoung won the shot put and discus, with throws of 15.19 meters and 46.79 meters, respectively. Art Jordan finished right behind DeYoung in the shot put.

Egypt Page and Taj Shaw took the top two spots in the long jump, with Page jumping 7.17 meters and Shaw 6.89. Shaw claimed first place in the triple jump, posting a 13.87-meter leap. Brandon Leiter placed second in the high jump and Joseph Gefell finished third.

Page and Devin Kipp had the two best times in the 100-meter dash, with Page winning by finishing in 11.20 seconds. Kipp was just behind at 11.26 seconds. Leiter finished second in the 110-meter hurdles also.

MEN’S LACROSSE

SUNY GENESEO (2-2) 16
BROCKPORT (1-2) 7
Geneseo outscored Brockport 10-2 in the first half to take a commanding lead that it never gave up. The Knights netted six consecutive goals in the second quarter after holding a 4-2 lead.

Jack Peterson and Brandon Sveda scored two goals apiece for the Golden Eagles. Peterson netted one in each half, while Sveda scored two of the team’s final three. Peterson also assisted on a goal from Liam O’Connor. Peter Scavone and Rocco Santillo rounded out Brockport’s scoring.