Tuesday Sports Wrap: Baseball demolishes Fredonia twice; Softball splits with Buffalo State

Ryan Voight has seven RBI on the season and has helped Brockport out to a 3-1 start to the season. (Photo credit: Jack Ramie via Flickr)

By Paul Cifonelli / Editor-in-Chief

BASEBALL

BROCKPORT (3-1) 15
SUNY FREDONIA (0-2) 2 GAME 1
Brockport scored in seven of the nine innings and Andrew Huffman and Trevor McCarthy combined to allow two runs over the first eight innings. Huffman and McCarthy both went four innings, with Huffman allowing both runs. Only one was earned and he racked up six strikeouts. McCarthy allowed two hits and three walks.

James Houlahan and Ryan Mansell were the offensive stars for the Golden Eagles, notching seven hits combined. Houlahan had four, including a double and a stolen base, and Mansell had three. Ryan Voight knocked in four runs and Nick Debrino drove in three.

Nicholas Pastore lays out for a catch during the 2019 season. (Photo credit: Jack Ramie via Flickr)

BROCKPORT (3-1) 17
SUNY FREDONIA (0-2) 2 GAME 2
A six-run fourth inning propelled Brockport to its second win over SUNY Fredonia in a day. Mansell kicked things off with an RBI double, then Voight, Nicholas Pastore and Matt O’Dair all had RBI singles. Jake Sisto scored on an error during O’Dair’s at bat and O’Dair touched home on a wild pitch to cap off the inning.

In this seven-inning contest, the Golden Eagles scored in every frame. Voight popped his first home run of the season in the third inning. Pastore finished 4-for-6 with a triple and three RBI. Houlahan capped off a seven-hit day with three more in Game Two and O’Dair had three hits. Voight, Mansell, McCarthy and Skyler Ohrvall all had two hits for Brockport.

Tom Kretzler threw the first five innings of the game and notched seven punch outs. He allowed both Fredonia runs, but only one of them was earned. Kyle Canavally and Matt McGowan threw one perfect inning apiece, with Canavally striking out two.

SOFTBALL

BROCKPORT (1-1) 12
BUFFALO STATE (3-4) 2 GAME 1
Brockport used a seven-run sixth inning to pull away from Buffalo State in its first win of the season. Erynn Hogan scored on an error to kick start the scoring, then Olivia Hayden knocked in Cameryn Duggan on a fielder’s choice. Amanda Blakely singled in Madison Evarts and Hayden, Andrea Coyle’s sacrifice fly plated Blakely and Jenna Downey’s RBI single rounded out the outburst.

Blakely was Brockport’s big offensive performer, going 3-for-4 with three RBI and a double, the Golden Eagles’ only extra base hit of the game. Hayden and Downey both notched two hits apiece also, with Hayden scoring three runs and Downey driving in two.

Catherine Johnson threw a complete game for Brockport, allowing only three hits and one earned run while striking out four. Johnson walked five batters, but only surrendered one run apiece in the first and second innings.

Kacie Hubbard started her senior season with a split against Buffalo State. (Photo credit: Alex Henderson via Flickr)

BROCKPORT (1-1) 2
BUFFALO STATE (3-4) 6 GAME 2

Buffalo State scored in every inning except the third and made up for that with two in the fourth to topple Brockport. The Golden Eagles wasted multiple opportunities, as they had 10 hits and 11 runners left on base.

Buffalo State’s offense didn’t waste as many opportunities and chased Brockport’s starting pitcher, Julia Palopoli, from the game in the fourth inning. Palopoli allowed three runs on four hits and three walks. Macy Kane relieved her and had similar success, surrendering three runs over three frames.

Hayden went 2-for-4 in the second game as well, making her 4-for-8 on the day. Kacie Hubbard and Annie Dipirro also had two base knocks for the Golden Eagles.