BSG Elections 2021: What you need to know

Spring has sprung and you know what that means — SUNY Brockport Student Government elections are right around the corner. This year will be a little different for candidates as COVID-19 guidelines dampen their ability to get out and interact with students, but the show must go on.

Talon TV and The Stylus will release interviews with each candidate in the coming week before voting begins. This year there are two students vying for president, two for vice president and two for treasurer.

Justin Crawford and Nia Robertson are running together for president and vice president respectively against Kalista Cherry and Meaghan Irving.

Jovani Figueroa and Hailey Gardner are running for treasurer.

According to BSG, the job purpose for the president is to carry out the vision of the organization in collaboration with vice president by managing the success of the overall organizations. The winning candidate will also sit on multiple committees for SUNY Brockport and can delegate work as needed. They will work with the College President to gauge campus climate and align BSG with SUNY Brockport’s vision to “Build a Better Brockport”.

The vice president has similar responsibilities. Their job purpose is to carry out the vision of the organization in collaboration with the president by managing the success of each department. The VP will work with senators to create, change or dismantle legislation, preside over the senate as the final voting officer, meet with the BSG advisor to gauge the direction of BSG and more.

The candidate that wins the treasurer position will keep tabs on club activity, determine a budget for each club at the end of the year, sit on various college committees pertaining to conversations about money, fees and budgets, along with other responsibilities.

You can read all of the duties and responsibilities for each position in more detail here.

Before the interviews air and students can cast their ballots, BSG will host virtual debates for each position. Figueroa and Gardiner will face off in a debate on Tuesday at 6 p.m. The president and vice president debate is scheduled for Wednesday at 12:15 p.m.

Students will be able to vote through their myBrockport from April 12 through April 17.

Election results will be announced on April 19.

**Editor’s Note: The links to the live streams will be linked in this article as soon as they become available.**